DeLonghi Nescafe Dolce Gusto Genio, now that’s a mouthful! Dolce Gusto Genio literally means “sweet taste genius” in Italian. After writing this review, I believe “Little Latte Robot” is an excellent name, but that doesn’t have the same pleasant ring to it.
The DeLonghi Nescafe Coffeemaker is more than just a coffee maker, and some might argue that it isn’t really a coffeemaker so much as it’s a “drink maker”.
This machine seems to be riding the popularity surge of single cup coffee machines with fun, convenient cups, capsules or pods. The Dolce Gusto Genio uses single serving capsules that come in a variety of coffee house favorites, from straight up coffee, to caramel macchiato- complete with foamy milk.
This machine does come with a starter set of capsules, but you must buy boxes of the Nescafe Dolce Gusto capsules to use with it. The Dolce Gusto capsules are the only form of coffee compatible with the Dolce Gusto Genio.
The Dolce Gusto Genio has an edge over the competition. Unlike the Keurig, it offers milk based coffee drinks, as well as straight coffee and espresso. The Genio holds it’s own in the single serve coffeemaker market. It boasts perfect espresso for the coffee snob in you, as well as fully automated preparation of fancy coffee drinks practically instantly with “no mess, no fuss” according to the manufacturer website.
Nescafe Genio features:
- Exclusive “Thermoblock” technology gives you perfectly steaming hot water in less than a minute.
- A “15 bar” pressure system. The Genio is a hybrid version of an espresso machine. An espresso machine has a separate wand component, which provides high-pressure steam for heating and frothing the milk. The Genio has seamlessly combined the steam function with the brew function.
- Hot and cold water buttons, allows you to opt for an iced or hot drink depending on what strikes your fancy at that moment.
- “Scroll Control” for beverage strength, a scroll on top of the unit that allows you to specify the desired potency of your coffee or drink.
- Automatic Shut-off when not used after 5 minutes.
- Sleek, stylish and modern look. The Genio is a brushed metal color that will coordinate perfectly with your stainless steel or black appliances.
- Removable water tank and drip tray- the 21 oz. tank and the drip tray can be easily removed for cleaning.
Overall, the Nescafe Genio appears to be a solid machine with a lot of options. You will never get bored with your beverage choices with one of these in your home.
Like most appliances, there are pros and cons, so let’s go over those.
- Compact Size– the machine measures12.4 x 7.7 x 13.5 inches. The Dolce Gusto Genio does not take up valuable real estate on the kitchen counter. The space efficiency of this machine contributes to a clutter-free counter-top.
- Value-The Nescafe turns out satisfying specialty drinks on par with what you can get at your favorite local coffee shop, but at a fraction of the cost. It should be noted though, that espresso and milk drinks like lattes and mochas, require the use of 2 capsules.
- Versatility-Though this is not advertised, the Dolce Gusto Genio also works as a plain ol’ hot water dispenser, for your tea or whatever you may need an instant cup of hot water for.
- Convenient- It’s fast, fun and there’s no cleanup, but if you want to wash the capsule holder, water tank, or drip tray it is dishwasher safe on the top rack.
- Less Choices-There are not as many varieties of the Nescafe capsules to choose from as the Keurig “K Cups”. And remember, only Nescafe capsules may be used. As the machine becomes more popular, I fully expect more options to open up.
- Compact Size- The size of the Genio is a pro and a con. The only reason why it is a con is because most travel mugs will not fit under the unit’s dispenser.
The bottom line is that the Genio is a miniature coffeehouse that will fit snugly next to your toaster. While this machine seems to offer a quality coffee experience, it is probably not going to be the choice of hardcore coffee purists.
This machine will appeal to the coffee drinker who enjoys lots of foam, milk, sugar and flavors like “Chococino”, an actual flavor offered in the capsules.